The North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (NDAES) was established in 1890 (approved by the First Session of the Legislative Assembly of the State of North Dakota, Bismarck). The State of North Dakota approved the establishment of the NDAES according to the Hatch Act, the federal legislation passed in 1887 that established state Experiment Stations. The purpose of the U.S. Hatch Act was “to promote efficient production, marketing distribution and utilization of products of farm as essential to health and welfare of our peoples and….to assure agriculture’s position in research equal to that of industry.”
Currently, the NDAES consists of seven research extension centers located throughout the state and the main station location on the campus of North Dakota State University. The total acreage of the research extension centers and the main station comprise approximately 20,000 acres. Much of the property of the research extension centers was donated to the state by local communities.
North Dakota Station, College Hall and Botanical Laboratory, 1900
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons