Michigan Extension work began before the organization was officially organized. The Michigan State College’s (now MSU) first livestock field agent was hired in 1907. In 1912, the Michigan Legislature authorized county boards of supervisors to appropriate funds and levy taxes to further teaching and demonstrations in Extension work. Eleven agricultural agents were named that year. In 1914, Congress passed the Smith-Lever Act, which created the Cooperative Extension System and directed the nation’s land grant universities to oversee its work.
With the passage of the Smith-Lever Act, the first statewide home economics and 4-H youth Extension workers were appointed; county home economics agents were appointed beginning in 1915. In the early years of Extension, “demonstration agents” showed or demonstrated new farming or homemaking techniques. Today, Extension agents use a wide variety of information systems to deliver educational information.
East Lansing, Mich. : The Station, 1918-1968.
East Lansing, Mich., Agricultural Experiment Station, 1894-1963.
no online access
East Lansing, Michigan State University, Agricultural Experiment Station [etc.] 1908-1964.
Online access to no.1(1908)-no.83(1927)
Research report from the Michigan State University Agricultural Experiment Station, East Lansing.
East Lansing, Mich. : Michigan State University Agricultural Experiment Station, 1963-
no online access
East Lansing : The College, 1925-1936
Online access to no.1(1908)-no.233(1963)
Michigan State University
446 W. Circle Drive - Rm 109
Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture
East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
Phone: (517) 355-0123
Fax: (517) 353-5406