The Rhode Island Agricultural Experiment Station was established in 1888 at the same time as the State Agricultural School. In 1892, the State Agricultural School became the Rhode Island College of Agricultural and Mechanic Arts. In 1914, Cooperative Extension was established with the passage of the Smith-Lever Act. Together the Agricultural Experiment Station, an important research arm of the university and Cooperative Extension, the outreach enterprise that translates university research to practice, are the cornerstones of the Land Grant programs. Importantly, the Land Grant programs are committed to engaging in cutting edge research dedicated to resolving critical issues faced by Rhode Islanders and Americans.
Horticulture Department at the Rhode Island College of Agricultural and Mechanic Arts, 1906. Image courtesy of Wikimedia.
The Home Economics Department was planned to give both men and women a general view of the household in society and to provide such training as will lead to more healthy, happy, intelligent and economical administration of the home as a social unit. From the Bulletin of the Rhode Island College of Agriculture & Mechanic Arts, 1907. Image courtesy of Wikimedia.