The Alabama Extension Service was formed in 1915 to teach practical and technical skills to farmers and to generally improve the lives of rural residents. Now known as the Alabama Cooperative Extension System (ACES), the organization operates a network of offices in each county through Alabama's two historic land-grant institutions, Alabama A&M University and Auburn University. Tuskegee University, which pioneered much of what is associated with extension programming, is a cooperative partner within this system.
Alabama College Station, Chemical Laboratory and Veterinary Building, 1900
Courtesy of Wikimedia
Girls working in Chemical Laboratory, Sixth District Agricultural School, Hamilton. US Department of Agriculture, Office of Experiment Stations, Bulletin No.220. Image courtesy of Biodiversity Heritage LIbrary.