All benefits are extended to SOPH students during their enrollment in the school. After program graduation, students are encouraged to become Garden Members in order to continue having access to Library resources.
- Check out up books from the Member's Collection.
- Check books out of the General Collection if agreed to be kept at all times on NYBG grounds.
- View Rare Book Room, pre-1850s, and Archival materials in the Library with Library staff permission and supervision.
- Request the use of Interlibrary Loan to request books loans or electronic copies of articles from other institutions (fees may apply).
- Access to all subscription databases and e-services.
On-site Library services
- Browse and use our collection in the library
- Public computers
- High-res color scanner (no charge)
- Reading Room and WiFi for studying, projects and meetings
- Query Reference Librarians and Plant Information Specialists for help
- Request one-on-one or group training for e-resources from the Reference Librarian
- Food is not permitted in the library.
- If you would like to consult materials from our Archives or Special Collections, please make an appointment beforehand. All special collections materials must be examined in the presence of a librarian and/or archivist, and are subject to rules and restrictions detailed upon your visit.
- If you are interacting with archives or special collections: large bags and bulky coats must be placed in the closet to the left of the entrance, or in a locker to the right of the entrance. Please ask for a quarter at the reference desk if you need one.
- Cell phones must be switched to silent when in the Library. Phone calls are not permitted. Personal computer use is welcome; there is free wifi available for use in our reading room.
- Please do not reshelve materials, but leave them on the tables so that we can see what was used.