All researchers have access to the Book Cart feature in the Mertz Library's catalog. In short, this feature is a way for users of the library to create and export a list of items in the library's collections. Such lists may be used to request and reserve books from the library staff on-site, or simply for personal research at home. Please note that using this feature does not automatically reserve books for you. You must send the list that the book cart generates to the library staff at email@example.com to reserve books.
1. Navigate to the Library's homepage. The URL is: https://www.nybg.org/learn/mertz-library/
2. Type your search term into the box under the "Search our Catalog". A search by "keyword" will search title, author, subject headings, and other fields. Searching by keyword is a great way to start your research. (For search tips, see the guide How to Search the Library Catalog.)
3. Click search. You will get a list of results. If you would like to save a book to your Book Cart, click the cart icon to the left of each record you would like to save.
4. After an item has been added to your cart, the Book Cart icon will show a star in the cart:
5. You are also able to save all items on a page to your Book Cart, using the "Save All On Page" feature located in the upper left of the screen, below the NYBG logo.
6. To clear your Book Cart of all records, click "Clear Saved Records" located at the top of the page and to the right of "View Saved."
7. If you are ready to view and/or export your saved records, click the "View Saved" cart icon located at the top of the page and to the right of "Another Search."
8. There are several options available to you in terms of exporting your records. The suggested settings are pre-selected. Saving to "Local Disk" gives you a text file of your records, which can then be printed or emailed. Saving the full bibliographic records for the items you have selected will give you more information.
You can select the format of the list: Full Display, Brief Display, Pro-Cite, End-Note/RefWorks or MARC. You can also select to e-mail the list and type in the recipient's e-mail address and the subject line. Alternatively, you can send list to the screen or local disk. From the records in your Book Cart, you can select one, several or all. Click "Submit" in the center of the screen when you have made your selections.
9. Click "Submit" to save a file with your selections.
10. The file will be automatically saved to your download folder, unless you have selected another location in your user settings.
11. Please note that using this feature does not automatically reserve books for you. You must send your list to the Library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve books.
Please email the Library if you experience any trouble using this guide.
Monday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Please enter by the Mosholu Gate if using the Library on a Monday. NYBG grounds are closed to the Public on Mondays, but the Library is open. The Library is closed Saturday, Sunday and Holidays. Library hours are subject to change during summer months.