Founded to meet the needs of the New York Botanical Garden’s scientific research, education and horticulture programs, the Library is also open to the general public. Although on-site use of the Library's collections is available to the general public, please consider NYBG membership and all of the great benefits it includes!
Guidelines for using the collection
- As a member of the Public, you may use items from our Research Collection on-site at the Library. Our items do not circulate without a Library card, and the Library is not affiliated with the New York Public Library.
- Food and/or beverages, including bottled water, are not permitted in the Library.
- Large bags, (including backpacks and briefcases), and bulky coats must be placed in the closet to the left of the entrance, or in a locker to the right of the entrance.
- Cell phones must be switched to silent when in the Library. Phone calls are not permitted. Personal computer use is welcome; there is free wifi available for use in our reading room.
- Please do not reshelve materials, but leave them on the tables so that we can see what was used. This helps us know what books and materials to add to our collection in the future.
- If you would like to consult materials from our Special Collections, please make an appointment beforehand. All special collections materials must be examined in the presence of a librarian and/or archivist, and are subject to rules and restrictions detailed upon your visit.
On-site Library services
- Use any of four public terminals in the Library
- Use the high-res color scanner in the Library for free
- Use the Reading Room and WiFi for study, projects and meetings during the Library’s hours of operation
- Query Reference Librarians and Plant Information Specialists for help, either on-site, via email, or over the phone during the Library’s hours of operation
- Request one-on-one or group training for e-resources or other Library services from the Library staff
- The Library provides a color scanner at no charge, and photographing our materials is permitted, provided no flash is used. This includes cell phone photos. Please see our policies regarding reproduction, (scanning, photography, etc.). Our Fee Schedule can be found here: http://libguides.nybg.org/fee-schedule
- Notice: The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material; the person using this equipment is liable for any infringement.