Founded to meet the needs of the New York Botanical Garden’s scientific research, education and horticulture programs, the Library is also open to the general public. In order to become a member of the Library, you must be a staff member, a student, a volunteer, or a member of the New York Botanical Garden.
Guidelines for using the collection
- Your card entitles you to check out three books at a time from our circulating collection. The loan period is three weeks, with one courtesy renewal.
- Your card also grants you access to our electronic materials, such as electronic journals and electronic databases. Please see the links in in the box to the right titled "Quick Links to Electronic Resources" for instructions.
- Food and/or beverages, including bottled water, are not permitted in the Library.
- Large bags, (including backpacks and briefcases), and bulky coats must be placed in the closet to the left of the entrance, or in a locker to the right of the entrance. Please ask for a quarter at the Library desk if you need one.
- Cell phones must be switched to silent when in the Library. Phone calls are not permitted. Personal computer use is welcome; there is free wifi available for use in our reading room.
- Please do not reshelve materials, but leave them on the tables so that we can see what was used. This helps us know what books and materials to add to our collection in the future.
- If you would like to consult materials from our Special Collections, please make an appointment beforehand. All special collections materials must be examined in the presence of a librarian and/or archivist, and are subject to rules and restrictions detailed upon your visit.
On-site Library services
- Use any of four public terminals in the Library
- Use the high-res color scanner in the Library for free
- Make black and white copies in the Library for $.30 per page
- Use the Reading Room and WiFi for study, projects and meetings during the Library’s hours of operation
- Query Reference Librarians and Plant Information Specialists for help, either on-site, via email, or over the phone during the Library’s hours of operation
- Request one-on-one or group training for e-resources or other Library services from the Library staff
- The Library provides a color scanner at no charge, and photographing our materials is permitted, provided no flash is used. This includes cell phone photos. Please see our policies regarding reproduction, (scanning, photography, etc.). Our Fee Schedule can be found here: http://libguides.nybg.org/fee-schedule
- Notice: The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material; the person using this equipment is liable for any infringement.
Fines & restrictions
If a library book is not returned in a timely fashion, (typically one renewal and an additional grace period), a replacement fee will be charged. This fee will be no less than $100, owing to the cost of obtaining the book, as well as processing fees.
Please return your books in a timely fashion!